Tuesday 9 August 2011

A boring post about youtube.

Thing 19: Youtube.

I often wonder whether it's just me that gets put off by fun earnest types. Perhaps it's a worry that such eagerness to seem interesting or fun belies a sense of desperation. Perhaps it's a worry that at heart I'll never be that fun. Nevertheless it has haunted me for as long as I remember; I never could get into wacky children's TV. I didn't even like Fun House.

Looking at the videos has brought back some of those memories. I'll be honest: I cringed. I personally would not use youtube as part of an information literacy programme other than as a hosting site. I would prefer that the video content be part of the library's web services, embedded into the content there.

I also wonder how much such videos engage students. I would be surprised if many students would hang around for 5-10 minutes to watch a video on youtube. I don't think they see it as much of a priority. Students seem pretty arrogant when it comes to assessing their information literacy.

I would prefer a series of video presentations - using camtasia for example - with audio and video illustrating how to use the library service, closely linked to the web content of the library, and no more than a few minutes long. Students seem to worry about information literacy when they need it.

I know this makes me a boring killjoy but don't worry, I've known this for a long time.

Coming up: Podcasts and some musings on an information literacy "strategy".

No comments:

Post a Comment